Saturday, September 20, 2014

Service as a Gauge.

My selfishness is dangerous. Doing things so that I benefit from it, thinking things that alienate others away from me, setting goals that will get me things will all send me down a very dangerous spiral.

I can easily stop that with some service. This does not mean I need to do something huge like start a non-profit agency. It could be a smile I offer someone, where I would normally judge them and frown at them, or just look away.

It could be that phone call I've been meaning to make to an old friend who's been on my mind. They may not be 'fun' and I know they get more out of the conversation than I do; but isn't that the point?

How about doing the best job I can at work? How about picking up that piece of trash I see, rather than leaving it for the cleaning people who won't even come in until next week? I don't need to leave it there. How about doing my job with a smile, rather than judging how crazy people are? Why should I care about that?

And all these things can be done anonymously, secretly. If I need to do service and then proclaim how much service I am doing to show others how well I am doing is a clue that I am still doing them for selfish reasons.

This will not solve all my problems, but having an attitude of 'helping' rather than 'getting' is going to help me connect with my Divine. I can do these things from a place of peace and serenity, and I know that doing these things will deepen my Connection as I am serving my purpose for being.

No comments:

Post a Comment